Grow Up!!!!!

"Beep" "beep" went my mobile; I took it out expecting a sms from a friend, to my surprise it was from my bank informing me that my account has been credited with my salary. My first pay cheque!!!! Well I can't express how I felt in words. But my face creased into a smile, finally I was adding to the GDP.
I went into flashback mode, as a child how much I had yearned for this day. What was the major difference between then and now except the pay cheque, the profile and the so called pseudo-maturity? Innocence! Innocence is what separates a child and man, you may say that as we grow we mature, yes we do but at the cost of innocence. I’m not saying that innocence ceases to exist but it is overshadowed and pushed into the darkest corner of our heart.
Well looking back I can definitely say I would want to remain a child throughout my life and why not, living without a care in the world; no job pressures, no peer pressure, no rivalry, no impression management, no false prestige, no targets, no deadlines to meet, no bugs to fix.
Well but as a child do we realise the importance of what we are having? No. All we want to do grow up, and do things that we see our parents/elders doing. We may not have the latest gadgets, we may lack the financial independence, no one may take us seriously, but who cares? There is one thing that every child hates, the sentence, “You are a kid now, when you grow up you can do it “, and that brings in him the yearning to grow up and taste the forbidden fruit.
After childhood comes adolescence where hormonal changes pre empts us to be rebellious and defiant. I can say for sure we hate everything people tell us then, it is the stage when we think ourselves as elders, know alls, and our biggest enemies become our own parents. The common statement used then is “I know it I’m grown up, don’t treat me as a child”
At every step during our growing up phase we don’t want ourselves to be labeled “childish” coz we tend to associate the terms responsibility, maturity, level headedness, seriousness to this terminology. So if you are termed as a child it means you are immature and lack emotional balance and not serious about anything. But we lose out on the fun and care free life we used to have. One may argue that, we still enjoy our lives, hang out with friends play games on our computer, we do chill out. Or that I’m waning away from responsibilities that have come my way. I do agree we do chill out; we do play snooker, pool or a game of bowling or match our wits against the system with the latest Playstation2 or XBOX 360. But seriously does it give u the thrill of playing cricket, with your childhood friends, or playing football in the rain, or a game as simple as hide and seek.
Well one might think what this has got to do with my first salary. Perhaps nothing, just the fears that in my pursuit to be what I’m have I left behind the real me some where? Have I crossed the river of oblivion in my path to where I’m today? When I look back is it all void that I see.
Alas there isn’t much time to sit and ponder, I have deadlines to meet, after all this is what I chose to be what I wanted to be, so why complain???

Comments

Arnie said…
An Honest effort which instills a wistful desire to cherish nostalgia.

Keep Writing!
Aadil said…
The secret of genius is to carry the spirit of childhood into maturity!

Get on!
Anonymous said…
that was really good man..most of us want to go back..thanks for reminding the thing that's hidden deep inside..keep writing..
Anonymous said…
nice thoughts.. gd start..
but u hav a solution???
Anonymous said…
the above comment was by me..
jaidev (jd.)
Anonymous said…
Excellent buddy. Nice way to start your bolg. How many deadline u have been missed for putting effort here? jus kidding keep writing....

kiran
Athira said…
Nice one! A really good reflection on the innocence of the early ages. The issues that bothered us as children seem so trivial now. Somehow, with the times, we have moved on from the early toys (bikes or dolls!), starting cycling on four wheels, new dresses, the myriad crushes on people around us as well as movie stars, etc. It all seem funny now thinking about it and I guess that is where the whole beauty lies. Someday later, you are able to look back at all those good and memories and laugh it. Had we stayed as children and just as innocent, the beauty of staying as a kid would never have been realized!
Anonymous said…
Sexy man... awesome !!!! It surely made me take a trip down memory lane :)

It brings fore the most pertinent question, "Who am I ?? and What do I really want?"

Great going sreejit was nice to come across your write-up. Keep continuing the good work !!!!

--Vinay
Anonymous said…
As someone has said - you do not realize what u have until u hv lost it...it goes fr childhood, love, friendship...everythin...and even though we hv deadlines today lets be thankful fr them as..never know but these might be the very things we ll miss 30 years down the lane...
enjoyed readin it sreejit...
keep me posted
neha...
Anonymous said…
The things we love as children remain in the domain of the heart until old age.

The most beautiful thing in our lives is that our souls remain over the places where we once enjoyed ourselves.

Truly nice sreejit....keep writing...
The things we love as children remain in the domain of the heart until old age.

The most beautiful thing in our lives is that our souls remain over the places where we once enjoyed ourselves.

Truly nice sreejit....keep writing...

Popular posts from this blog

Adieu my dear friend!!

World Cups and Heart Aches - A un-ending love story

Short Cut